Do the messy job of repotting plants in our South Tacoma Way garage space! All the tools and materials you need to re-pot your plants will be on-hand, and Fernseed staff will assist with repotting and offer guidance. Bring in as many plants as you like, and our team will guide you through the process of extracting plants from their pots, picking the right new soil and vessel, and the repotting process.
We'll also have a small selection of planters and plants for you to browse though, and you'll be able to pass through to our retail space to purchase new plants, planters, or any additional potting supplies you need.
Setup & Pricing
To keep things simple, Fernseed is charging a per-plant fee to access the clinic.
Small plants (2-4" diameter): $5 Medium plants (6-inch diameter): $10 Large plants (8-inch diameter and above): $16
Pricing is determined by pot diameter size and subject to staff discretion.
Potting accessories——coco coir poles, vinyl saucers, fertilizers——will available for an additional charge.
Pest & fungal treatment: While we encourage you to keep plants with pest and fungal issues at home, we will be able to provide pest and fungal treatment at an additional charge.
Sell your plants to The Fernseed! For the first time in our shop's history, we're inviting you to sell your plants back to us.
How we pay:
- We currently buy back plants for store credit only. No cash offers are made.
- Individual plant pricing is subject to buyer's discretion but is generally based on fair market wholesale pricing
- We don't provide itemized offers, however you are welcome to ask about individual item pricing when considering an offer
- Once your offer has been accepted we will issue you a trade-in slip to cash in at the register for a gift card that you can use any time (no expiration date)
What we're looking for:
- Well cared for, established plants 6" or larger
- Old, overgrown cacti, especially large ones
- Large/bushy, healthy trailing/hanging plants of any family
- Large, established jade trees/trunks
- Healthy, established philodendrons, alocasia, calathea, anthurium, hoya, zz plants, sansevieria, syngonium, pothos, scindapsus—especially the less common varieties—in all sizes, 4" and larger
- Indoor trees 4 feet or taller with established growth patterns (ficus, palms, dracaena)
Specific things we're into this season:
- Rare, large-leaf hoya
- Established hoya kerrii vines
- Large fishbone or zig zag cacti
- Cacti of any size that are 10+ years or older (less interested in Christmas/Easter varieties, but let's see what you've got)
- Anything that looks like it was in the window of a laundromat or dry cleaner for 5+ years or longer
- Large dracaena marginata that have established a meandering growth pattern
- Healthy, established carnivorous plants of all varieties
We will update this list periodically!
We do not buy:
- Plants that are currently infested with pests or fungus or have recently been treated
- Overgrown, small, leggy succulents
- Air plants, unless they're large and spectacular
- Outdoor plants (i.e. plants that are typically intended for outdoor growth/care in this region)
- Cuttings or small starts of plants, even rare plants
- Peace lily
- If you prefer to ask some clarifying questions about what we do or don't buy before making the trip, we can offer some guidance over the phone, but you must bring your plants in to receive an offer. We cannot estimate or offer over the phone or via online messaging. Take a look at our wish list/what we're looking for to get an idea of what's worth bringing in.
- You must take back what we do not purchase from you, we do not accept donations. However we will offer a yard waste disposal if you prefer not to leave with it.
- No limit on number of plants you can bring in, but keep in mind you must leave with plants we pass on, or dispose of them before leaving.
- Plants must be in a plastic grow pot or hard vessel when you bring them in (no cuttings or specimens). We may be interested in buying a vessel from you, or we can remove your potted plant from the vessel if we purchase it so you can take your vessel home.
- We do not purchase plants with fungus issues or pests. Please leave infected plants at home.
- Please keep in mind that this process is intended to be collaborative and fun, and a way to earn store credit for plants you are no longer interested in keeping in your collection. Our buyers have several years of experience buying and pricing plants, and are trained to offer a fair value based on our resale margins.
What we do with the plants we buy back:
- To start with, we quarantine and treat plants to ensure optimal health - Some plants are absorbed into our permanent collection for decor and inspiration - Our plan is to begin offering re-homed house plants as a special delegation in our collection. We will always transparently mark plants that have been re-homed versus purchased from a nursery or growers. We may in the future plan specific sales or swap events to market what we hope will be a visually stunning and more interesting collection of plants than we can necessarily source from nurseries and growers.